Yoga Breathing Techniques
Most competitive sports require high levels of aerobic performance over extended periods of time. For some reason, we take our breathing for granted and many coaches do not include any form of yoga breathing techniques to strengthen the lungs and, more importantly, to maximise lung capacity.
Among infants, correct breathing comes naturally and they use their entire lungs to breathe, but as we get older most people only utilise the upper part of their lungs. In 2018, I am launching my Breathe for Speed® program which will take your breathing and sport performance to another level!
WHY OXYGEN INTAKE IS SO IMPORTANT.
Oxygen is the most vital nutrient in our bodies. It is essential for the proper and efficient functioning of the brain, nerves, glands and other internal organs. One of the major secrets of energy and vitality is a purified blood stream. The quickest and most effective way to purify the blood stream is by taking in extra supply of oxygen from the air that we breathe. Shallow chest breathing promotes early fatigue in athletes, affects their rhythm and their timing and inevitably their speed. Once an athlete becomes aware of the power of yoga breathing techniques, they can then use the breath to release tight muscles, to focus, increase lung capacity therefore improving performance in their sport.
SportsYoga.ie helps develop deep relaxed breathing to achieve the following:
- Reduce breathing rate/increase of oxygen
- Increase blood circulation to vital organs
- Circulates and detoxifies the lymph fluid to speed up recovery time from training 15% faster, eliminating fatigue.
- Increase lung capacity
- Condition and strengthen lungs, diaphragm and intercostal muscles
- Optimum speed/vitality/endurance
- Slower heart rate.
- Oxygen is essential for the production of ATP -The chemical basis of energy production in the body.
- Specific breathing techniques will increase red blood cells naturally.
- High degree of concentration/mental focus
- Calm clear controlled mind essential at the “critical match point”/ race.
I use Yoga breathing techniques in my yoga therapy sessions and I will also be running workshops for UL Sport Arena in 2018